A divorce can be very traumatic on many levels. In order to minimize the stress and make sure your divorce goes smoothly, it’s important to keep a few elements in mind. You want to make sure that you: copy all your important documents; get everything in writing; and keep a diary.
Copy All Your Important Documents
If you are even thinking about a divorce, you want to make a copy of every conceivable important document in your house. From birth certificates to marriage licenses to bills to bills of sale on cars, you want to make sure that you gain all the evidence you can to show who had what in whose name at what time.
Get Everything in Writing
You are constructing a case against another person. Therefore, any statements about how you agree upon certain elements of the divorce should be put down in writing so that they would stand up in a court of law if they were to be requested. For example, stating that your spouse said you could have the house might have been said–but oral agreements are difficult to prove in court. So, get agreements and other statements in writing. That way you will come out on top.
Keep a Diary
In order to ensure you have a smooth divorce, you have to show yourself to be a reliable person to the judge. If your spouse is a spendthrift who put you into financial ruin, put it down in your diary. If your spouse was abusive towards you or any dependents at any time, write it down. Diaries can be utilized as evidence in court, and have been in certain cases. Written evidence from your personal life could make or break your case in divorce court.
The big takeaway from this entire piece is, documentation is key. What matters is what you can prove in court. When building a case, you need to copy important documentation, get things in writing, and keep a diary. Consult an Alabama family law expert if applicable.
If you need help finding top-notch legal representation in Alabama, there are many tried and true ways to find one. Utilizing the ten reference points below will help you to find a great Alabama criminal lawyer or Alabama family law attorney.
1. Consult with acquaintances and ask whether they can recommend a lawyer. In doing so, however, you should avoid revealing any confidential information. Later, once you have retained a lawyer, your discussions with that lawyer are confidential and protected by the attorney client privilege.
2. Check with the Alabama Bar Association for referrals to lawyers who handle your type of case.
3. You can research online to find the qualifications of many lawyers. You should never retain a lawyer, however, before meeting the individual in person.
4. Once you have met a potential lawyer, ask yourself if this someone who you feel that you can work with successfully? You should only retain a lawyer with whom you are comfortable talking and discussing the facts of your case.
5. You should always discuss fee arrangements with your attorney. A good attorney will be happy to discuss compensation and expenses with you.
6. Choosing a great lawyer will typically mean finding someone with experience in your type of case. Ask your potential lawyer about the number of cases he has handled similar to yours.
7. You should also ask whether your lawyer has experience in the court where your case is likely to be filed. For example, some lawyers practice more in federal court than in state court. Is your attorney experienced in the venue in which your case will be prosecuted or filed?
8. Has your lawyer published or spoken to professional organizations on relevant topics? If so, read these materials to learn more about your lawyer’s expertise.
9. Where is your lawyer located? Finding a great local Alabama lawyer will be to your advantage.
10. Ask whether your lawyer handles both trials and appeals. Does he take cases to trial frequently?
Follow these guidelines, and you will find a great Alabama criminal lawyer or Alabama family law attorney.
If you are looking for an excellent Alabama criminal lawyer as well as one highly knowledgeable of Alabama family law in Centre, Alabama, you need not look any further than the very capable J. Shane Givens and his law firm. This law firm in Centre, Alabama specializes in providing its clients with the best legal advice and protection in the area. You can trust the staff, and you know that J. Shane Givens will take the time to listen to your issues and offer a solution that will not drain your wallet. If you need legal advice, you can be sure this local firm will keep your best interest a priority.
An attorney has no better calling card than his reputation with the community and the people he serves. J. Shane Givens is known for his prompt responses to his clients. You do not have to remain in a state of confusion and fear because you know he understands the turmoil that can result from having doubts surrounding legal issues. He also is dedicated to providing his services in a cost-effective manner. You no longer have to worry about the financial ramifications of seeking the advice of an attorney with J. Shane Givens.
When it comes to the law, J. Shane Givens is also one of the most knowledgeable attorneys in the area. Mr. Givens was trained at one of the largest law firms in Birmingham, Alabama, and he learned from that experience what it takes to make the process run smoothly for his clients. He understands that using technology allows him to steadily assess his client’s ever changing legal situation, and while monitoring these changes, he can provide solutions to his client while avoiding expensive litigation. J. Shane Givens will utilize all these techniques to help you with issues such as divorce, custody, adoption, palimony, and artificial conception. He also is highly skilled at providing help for people facing criminal charges.
Whether you need an expert in Alabama family law or an Alabama criminal lawyer, call J. Shane Givens, and set up a consultation today!
Life is unpredictable, and some of the best of us can find ourselves in the midst of a very bad situation. If you are charged with a crime, you will need an excellent attorney to provide a strong defense for you. In every society, there has to be punishment for certain behavior that is harmful to citizens and the entire society. Behavior that fits in these categories is labeled a crime; the perpetrator or person convicted of the crime can face imprisonment and/or fines.
Every state has laws and regulations specific to that state, so it is important to find an Alabama criminal lawyer that is experienced in Alabama criminal law.
When you hire a lawyer, you should be confident in their ability to protect your legal rights. Fortunately, our justice system provides every citizen with rights, and a person is presumed innocent until found guilty. If you don’t have an attorney who knows the law, you can quickly find yourself in prison. It is your right to have an Alabama criminal lawyer that will provide an aggressive defense.
Although some of us will have to fight criminal charges, the majority of people will have a family issue that will require legal action. Family law is filled with emotion, and family law cases are highly time-sensitive. Consequently, if you live in the state of Alabama, you will need an Alabama family law professional that is experienced with family legal issues. Family court handles these legal matters. Divorce, child custody, adoption, child support, and visitation are all family law matters that need an Alabama family law specialist to provide you with the best legal protection possible.
Too many people are denied their legal rights because they did not have competent representation. This will significantly change your life; you can’t afford to let criminal charges or family law issues hang in the balance. These issues will not go away, and you must give yourself a fighting chance. An experienced Alabama attorney can protect your rights and fight for you.