10 Ways To Choose A Great Lawyer
If you need help finding top-notch legal representation in Alabama, there are many tried and true ways to find one. Utilizing the ten reference points below will help you to find a great Alabama criminal lawyer or Alabama family law attorney.
1. Consult with acquaintances and ask whether they can recommend a lawyer. In doing so, however, you should avoid revealing any confidential information. Later, once you have retained a lawyer, your discussions with that lawyer are confidential and protected by the attorney client privilege.
2. Check with the Alabama Bar Association for referrals to lawyers who handle your type of case.
3. You can research online to find the qualifications of many lawyers. You should never retain a lawyer, however, before meeting the individual in person.
4. Once you have met a potential lawyer, ask yourself if this someone who you feel that you can work with successfully? You should only retain a lawyer with whom you are comfortable talking and discussing the facts of your case.
5. You should always discuss fee arrangements with your attorney. A good attorney will be happy to discuss compensation and expenses with you.
6. Choosing a great lawyer will typically mean finding someone with experience in your type of case. Ask your potential lawyer about the number of cases he has handled similar to yours.
7. You should also ask whether your lawyer has experience in the court where your case is likely to be filed. For example, some lawyers practice more in federal court than in state court. Is your attorney experienced in the venue in which your case will be prosecuted or filed?
8. Has your lawyer published or spoken to professional organizations on relevant topics? If so, read these materials to learn more about your lawyer’s expertise.
9. Where is your lawyer located? Finding a great local Alabama lawyer will be to your advantage.
10. Ask whether your lawyer handles both trials and appeals. Does he take cases to trial frequently?
Follow these guidelines, and you will find a great Alabama criminal lawyer or Alabama family law attorney.